Thursday 16 October 2008

A very disappointing week

This week has been one massive disappointment for me. Maybe I set my standards too high but what was supposed to be a fantastic shopping experience in London was so sad..

Contrary to popular belief I can admit when I'm wrong, and after all the hype generated by the fashion magazines about Patricia Field's collection for M&S I was really hoping I was this time, but alas it was not to be.
I have just one word - no make that two - for this collection. Truly awful.
This collection could have been gorgeous. Think Sarah Jessica Parker, Anne Hathaway and the good bits of Ugly Betty all rolled into one. And then mix that with the things that make M&S go wrong.
There were bits about almost all the pieces in the collection that could have been really nice but then each time it would be ruined by something trying to hard to make it look good, a common M&S mistake I thought it'd got over. Take the pink dress with frills - could have been fantastic but then there's just something about it that makes it horrible. Maybe it's the length, maybe it's the straps, I'm not sure. But I think you'd have to be a model to make it look good and let's face it if you're a model you can make most things look good.

So I've walked away from M&S and have turned to Primark in despair, looking for a friend that won't let me down (ok so I don't think of Primark as a friend I do have actual friends but you get the picture). I look to buy a t-shirt and suddenly the size I want, a size 12, seems miniscule. I had to buy a size 18 for it to fit like I wanted.
Don't get me wrong there's nothing wrong with a size 18 but what if I had been an 18? That's the biggest size there was, I would have had to walk out of the shop feeling bad about myself. How's that for service? And it's not just Primark, so many shops do this now it's ridiculous.

At what point did it become ok for this to happen and of all places at Primark?! It's about time shops started catering for real sized women - or at least made the right size clothes, a size 12 should be a size 12 as should be a 4, 6, 8, 10, 14, 16, 18 and bigger. Yes I know you can harp on about it til you're blue in the face, it'll never change. But it's annoying. Very annoying.

Rant over...

No comments: